Criminology, Law and Society
College of Humanities and Social Sciences

Transfer Students

Mason degree

Admitted transfer students will meet with their assigned CLS advisor at New Student Orientation to review their transfer credit equivalency worksheet (completed by the admissions office upon admission and receipt of the enrollment deposit) and discuss how many credits they have left to complete their Mason degree requirements.

The Basics

To receive a degree from George Mason University all students must meet the following benchmarks while also completing all degree requirements (general education, major requirements, etc.):

  1. 120 credits (minimum)
    1. 30 credits (minimum) must be completed at Mason (also known as the "Residency" requirement).
  2. 45 credits of upper-division/level coursework (300-499)
    1. These credits are within the 120 minimum, not in addition to.
    2. Coursework at the community college level will not apply to the upper-level requirement.
  3. 2.0 GPA or higher (minimum)
    1. Students are encouraged to strive for a 3.0 or higher in the program and overall/cumulative by graduation to remain competitive in the job market and/or for future graduate study.

Depending on the number of transfer credits received, individual transfer students' time to degree completion will vary, including the possibility of having to complete slightly more than the 120 minimum to meet all degree requirements.

Transfer Credits

Need to know what classes to take at another institution for transfer to Mason?

VCCS students: Whether you plan to apply under GAA or regular admission, it is recommended that VCCS students use the Mason Transfer Guide as a way to assist in planning coursework for transfer from VCCS to Mason. 

Students who are transferring from a 4-year institution may utilize the Transfer Credit Search Engine to determine equivalencies of coursework that has previously transferred from that institution.  If the course you took is not listed in the search engine then its equivalency will be determined after you have been admitted and your enrollment deposit has been received.

VCCS Guaranteed Admissions Agreement (GAA)

Transfer students who have attended a school within the Virginia Community College System (VCCS) admitted to Mason under the guaranteed admissions agreement (GAA) will have met all lower level general education requirements.  The GAA waiver does not exempt students from the following upper-level and college/CHSS general education requirements:

  1. ENGH 302 (Advanced Composition);
    1. ENGH 302 is a non-transferrable course required for general education and is completed at Mason.
  2. Synthesis requirement for university general education (completed by CRIM 495, a course required for all CLS majors); 
  3. Foreign Language proficiency through the intermediate level in one language (required for the B.A. degree only).

VCCS 2+2 Program

The 2+2 program is no longer available to NVCC/VCCS students who transfer to George Mason. However, students will be able to receive a bachelor's degree at George Mason by satisfying the four-year program degree requirements.

Print Friendly and PDF