Pre-Orientation Advising for New Freshmen
Check back in late October for Spring 2022 pre-orientation information. Appointments for newly admitted students will not begin until mid-November.
Welcome to Mason! As a new freshman student, orientation is an important first step in your transition to the university. We created a set of virtual orientation modules that you can complete prior to beginning at Mason.
The virtual orientation content contains short videos and resources for many things related to your undergraduate experience (degree requirements, high school earned credits, registration information) that can be done at your own pace. We request that you complete the virtual orientation modules before attending the live orientation session. By doing so, we can have a more thoughtful conversation that addresses questions and concerns specific to your unique circumstances if you already have an understanding of your academic requirements.
After completing the virtual orientation modules in Blackboard, we invite you to schedule a pre-orientation appointment with your assigned advisor. You can use this time to address any questions or concerns you have about your Mason degree requirements or high school earned credits, discuss your anticipated classes, and identify resources and opportunities that will help you maximize your time at Mason. Completion of a pre-orientation advising appointment allows you to receive personalized advising recommendations and shortens your orientation day.
How do I access virtual orientation?
Log into Blackboard with your Mason credentials and click on the "Organizations" tab at the top of the page. You should see "Criminology, Law & Society Advising". You can access virtual orientation by clicking "FRESHMAN STUDENT VIRTUAL ORIENTATION" on the left-hand side of the page.
If you log into Blackboard and do not see the Criminology, Law & Society Advising page listed, please contact your assigned advisor directly to access this content.
Who is my assigned advisor?
CLS advisor assignments are based on the first letter of the student's last name as follows:
How do I schedule an advising appointment?
Appointments are available Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m. You must first activate your Masonlive email account to access the appointment scheduling system. Instructions for setting up your email can be found on the ITS website here.
Once your email is active, please visit http://gmu.campus.eab.com and reserve your appointment. Step-by-step appointment scheduling instructions can be found here.
- Select the "Pre-Orientation Advising" service when scheduling the appointment. Use the comments field to identify anything else you wish to discuss during the session.
- Check your Masonlive email address for an email from your advisor with additional instructions before the appointment time.
What else do I need to know?
- What do I need to do before my orientation date? Please review the virtual orientation modules and submit an Incoming Credit Form no later than 24 hours prior to your scheduled orientation session or pre-orientation advising appointment. The Incoming Credit Form notifies your advisor of dual enrollment and test credits you may be bringing into Mason, and allows her to advise you appropriately for classes.
- If I complete a pre-orientation advising appointment, do I still need to attend orientation? Yes! A pre-orientation appointment only covers your academic requirements. It also shortens your orientation day and provides you with personalized advising recommendations. The live orientation session offers many important sessions such as finances, transitioning to the university, housing, and allows you to connect with other students.
- When will I register for classes? You will register for classes on your scheduled orientation day. You are welcome to explore course offerings before orientation so you are ready to enroll on your orientation day.
- I have more questions. Who do I contact? Many of your questions will be addressed by an advisor during your orientation session. Upon completion of the orientation experience, you can follow up with your assigned advisor to address any additional questions or concerns you may have. Instructions for scheduling an advising appointment can be found here.